Lenexa Baptist Church History
In January of 1988, Lenexa Baptist Church met in the Christa McAuliffe Elementary School in Lenexa for its first service as a mission church sponsored by Emmanuel Baptist Church in Overland Park. The church was initially named Westside Baptist Church.
On January 21, 1990 the church voted to call the first pastor, Steve Dighton, who had been serving at First Baptist Church in Piedmont, Oklahoma. Pastor Steve began his ministry here on February 26, 1990.
The church met in several different temporary locations in Shawnee and Lenexa from 1988 to 1994. In October of 1994 the church purchased a refurbished office building located at 8865 Bourgade in Lenexa and met there until March of 2001 as the church then relocated to its current site on 87th Street in Lenexa.
Steve Dighton, the founding pastor, has led our church for 21 years. Under Pastor Dighton’s leadership the church has grown from an average attendance of 100 to 2,500.
In 2005, Lenexa Baptist Church was named by Lifeway President, Dr. Thom Rainer as one of only 13 “Breakout Churches” in America. In his book, Breakout Churches, Dr. Rainer recognizes 13 elite churches that have moved to greatness and Lenexa Baptist was one of only two Baptist churches recognized for this accomplishment.
In January 2007, Lenexa Baptist Church was also recognized by Lifeway Research as one of 19 Standout Churches in the Southern Baptist Convention. This survey was a 10-year study on effective evangelistic churches.
In 2011, Lenexa Baptist Church expanded its borders, crossing the state line, with a second campus in Greenwood, MO. The Greenwood campus is called The Fellowship of Greenwood and is located at 1601 W. Main Street in Greenwood, Missouri.
The vision for Lenexa Baptist Church is to become the conservative evangelical church in Kansas City. This will be achieved by a multi-site approach. The location of these sites will be strategically selected in the effort to reach Kansas City with the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.